Sunday, May 17, 2009

Death By Anticipation


(This post was written two weeks ago and it has taken me that long to marry the pictures and the text together and get it published. Sad isn’t it?)

Have you ever wondered what someone who is dying of anticipation actually looks like? Take a gander:
anticipation with background
You see, I’ve been talking about making homemade Oreos for days. I’ve Tweeted about it. I’ve Facebooked about it. I, myself, have been pretty excited about the occasion. Not only was I looking forward to the goodness of the promise of the pictures featured at Jennifer’s site, but Sam and I were planning on making the cookies with my mom in celebration of her birthday (in April) and Mother’s Day (in May). So it was to be quite a weekend!
We filled Saturday with shopping and a special lunch at a restaurant that lives in an old train station. It is gorgeous!
CD_col_lg
It sits almost inches next to a train track and we were thrilled when the waitress told us that a train usually passes everyday around 11:30. Well, 11:30 came and went. No train. At least I was smart enough not to share that possibility with Sam!
We ended the day with Disney on Ice: World of Fantasy and Daddy was able to join us (post to follow…one day!) which made it extra special!
DSC_0142
Oh, aren’t you dying to know how the cookies turned out?
Well, my mom ended up leaving earlier than planned Sunday morning to get ahead of some severe weather. So I actually made the cookies by myself while Sam napped that afternoon. I knew I was in trouble because the batter itself was to die for! I followed the recipe and cooked two pans of cookies. I had two different pans (one single layer cookie sheet and one stone flat thingy) and really wasn’t thrilled with the way either batch came out. I didn’t have time to make the cream filling Sunday before heading to Newberry for a wonderful date night (yet another post) so when I came home Monday, I decided to make another batch of cookies. Because yes, the recipe is THAT easy!
This time, I used my double layer cookie sheet and cooked two batches. This time, I finished the homemade Oreos and they were as heavenly as I had been dreaming of for days! This time, Sam was awake and very aware of what was going on. This time was not as much fun as I had hoped the first time would have been. Sam was a snothead. But I completely understand that he was simply dying from anticipation. I was, too. He’s only three. I have to remind Scott and myself of that often. Sam got sent to his room several times and if I heard “I want a cookie” once, I heard it fifty times.
Anyway, here are some scrumptious, mouthwatering shots:

DSC_0103 DSC_0104 DSC_0106 DSC_0122 DSC_0123 DSC_0126 DSC_0130 DSC_0134 DSC_0141

yummy with background

I am not exaggerating when I say that mere words do not do justice to these cookies. Thanks, Jennifer for introducing me to this little slice of Heaven!

3 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

Yay!!! You made them! They really are a great cookie, and the fact that it's homemade junk food makes them seem almost healthy...right?

Brightfish said...

Heck yeah! I would almost say they are healthy enough to be counted as a vegetable on Sundays! Shortening is a veggie, right?

Jennifer Juniper said...

Exactly. I knew you'd be on board.